Piping Support activity is critical activity done in conjuction with Pipe Stress Analysis. Pipes must be properly and adequately supported to avoid their structural failures. Many types of supports are employed in a typical process plant to take care of various stresses and strains developed in a piping system due to weight, operating conditions, earthquake and wind.
Loads to be Sustained by Piping Supports
The loads to be sustained by piping supports are calculated by taking into account all following components.
- Mass of conveyed fluid, calculated on the basis of following densities : Gas/Steam/Air : 0, Water : 1000Kb/cu.m. Other Liquids : as per density of that liquid.
- Insulation mass as per its density. 120Kg/cu.m. tentative
- All loads due to thermal expansion and resulting from stress analysis calculations.
- Overloads due to any water hammer or slug forces phenomenon.
- Concentrated loads due to opening of safety valves.
- Overloads due to earthquake, assuming a corrective factor in the piping own mass.
- Wind force.
- Overall mass of piping in hydraulic test conditions, i.e. piping full of water. In this case however, the loads due to wind and earthquake should not be considered. The load due to the hydraulic test is not applied to the supports for lines subject to pneumatic test only.
|* Spans limited by stress (all others limited by deflection). + Pipe walls require …Read More..|
|PTFE Slide Plates These are used where supports with low coefficient of friction (0.1) are required …Read More..|
3D Modelling of Pipe Supports
Piping supports are usually represented in 3D Model by one of the two methods as listed below.
- Logical Modelling : Only point of support is represented in model with the help of a X Mark. A Code is attached to X mark complete with dimensions of support, as per Support identification procedure for the project.
- Physical Modelling : The support is completely modeled with all the components and the indication of identifying code complete with characteristics dimensions.
Typical 3D Modelling programs are PDS, PDMS, SP3D, Autodexk Plant 3D etc.
|Identification or tagging of supports on piping system is important for Tracking of Supports for …Read More..|
Support material takeoff and management
Support material take off and management shall be done as per project standard.